03-11-2024, 06:59 PM   #4
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
I've talked to 10 different people who give me 10 different answer. I purchased a car from a New York Bmw dealer and need to register it in Massachusetts. This has to happen before I can go get it and drive it home. I have the rta form completely filled out. The Rmv is telling me I need to show proof of ownership but can't tell me what that means. Does anyone here know exactly what is needed to register this vehicle? There is a partial loan on the vehicle so I do not have the title.
Disclaimer: Here's the 11th answer.

It's a pain buying an out of state vehicle and bringing it back to MA. It's easier if you are trading in (or have sold your previous vehicle). In those cases, you can transfer the plate with a 7 day grace period to register the new car. But that is only the case if you lose possession of the old car (sold or traded in).

If you need new plates, you need to insure and register before you can drive it home. And it's difficult to register without a bill of sale (or signed over title) since you have not yet taken possession. A purchase agreement from a dealer may hold more weight. Have you tried this?

When I purchased a used BMW from an NYS private party (also with a loan), I wanted to look at the car, test drive it, and buy it all in one trip. I also needed new plates because it was an additional vehicle. When I looked into this issue, the conventional wisdom was you either need to drive back "illegally" and chance it, or make two trips. I took plates off the car in my driveway, made sure I added the new car to my insurance policy and drove the car home (as safe as I could). Swapped the plates back and drove my other car to the RMV to register the new car, and walked out with new plates, registration (after paying MA sales tax).

I have also anecdotally heard that police have no way of verifying whether you sold or traded in the other vehicle, so as long as it's within 7 calendar days, you should be OK. YMMV.
Appreciate 0