04-26-2021, 09:30 AM   #20
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Took the car for a carwash, as they finished the car displays parking brake malfunction and I cant put it in gear. I am stuck at the wash with a bunch of cars behind me, cant move the pos, and bmw roadside assistance hangs up on me twice and puts me on hold. Finally got a case number, but it might be hours before they get a tow truck. They are basically a third party contractor, a dispatch if you will, that are contacting local towing companies to find who is available.

This is a giant clusterfuck, my day is ruined. Same once happened to my e70, ironically also after a car wash, but at least is has a manual override cable for the hand brake. I want to dump this pos back to bmw and get a Lexus. Cant deal with bmw nonsense anymore.
Sorry, to hear. Most nationwide road service options are contracted out to local companies, this should come as no surprise. Even AAA has local outfitters that they deal with. Waiting on a tow is always a matter of luck and a crap shoot, so not really fair to blame BMW for the length of time it takes for a tow - their fault for hanging up though.

Sadly this is one of the drawbacks to advancement in technology, what happened to the simple days of dials and cables, something to be said about a manual parking brake and release or easily shifting into neutral. Now cars are computers on wheels, for the better with safety features and efficiencies, but also for the worse and this is a perfect example of a failure that leaves the owner with few remedies. Ridiculous that car manufactures and government have overlooked this; sure push button start, back-up cameras, and lane-assist technologies are great, but there should be certain non-tech dependent features for emergencies - a manual parking brake, door locks, a spare tire, a method to easily shift into neutral without some complex process or dependence on energy (gas or battery). Unfortunately younger technology coddled drivers, don't realize the benefits of those simple features.