View Single Post
      07-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
330dMSXD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
I've test driven both, albeit the Mercedes much more than the BMW.

Despite targeting the same market, they were two completely different cars. For example, both have air suspension setups, the X5 is quite sporty and much more focused, whereas the Mercedes is the total opposite. It's more comfortable but wollowy and rolls more.

The engine on the BMW encourages you to drive it, irrespective of the model, whereas the mercedes was much more relaxed and encouraged you to just sit back and munch the miles. The BMW does this too, but it just feels more like a car you want to stamp your foot down and enjoy.

Interior wise, the Mercedes is a big step forward for them, especially the entertainment and UI. Personally it has a long way to go if it's to be as intuitive as the BMW, but still uniquely brilliant and not to be sniffed at.

If I was 50 or older I'd choose the Mercedes. I'm 30 with young kids so it was between the X5 and Cayenne. The X5 won.
Masterplan thanks for your comments.

I have heard from other forums and various other motoring sources that the X5 is more dynamic. In 37 years of motoring I have never owned a Mercedes, often choosing BMW or Audi. The 2020 GLE is the only Mercedes to have grabbed my attention. It has a very high spec in Premium Plus spec with many comforts that are extra cost on the X5.

Im 55 with both daughters at Uni, so the GLE might just win me over.

Im going to arrange a couple of extended test drives but neither BMW or Mercedes dealers are not falling over themselves at the moment to seek new business in my experience so far.
Appreciate 0