Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I'd really would be interested in their reasonings. Respected companies such as Bosch and Axis have IP cameras which are not cheap.

Having run my Hikvision camera system for years, I don't see their issue with it. I've actually been in a operations center for a to be unnamed Federal Agency and was horrified by the picture quality of their camera system (closed circuit based) which didn't even come close to the quality of my system.
I would guess that they have concerns about the hack-ability of IP cameras, just like all the other digital assets of an organization.
I believe the avoidance was in relation to performance. This may very well been in relation to cost though. I just recall when the national distributor I worked for started carrying surveillance systems we all thought the logical choice was an IP-based systems, but after my team was trained on the subject they realized a conventional system was the better choice. As I recall, this had to do with all aspects of the systems... from cameras, to recorders, to cabling.

This was about 5 years ago so maybe my experience is out of date? Like insaid, this isn't my area of expertise.

Edit: through the fog of my brain I recall one limitation was the 328' limit of a cable run of an IP system. Coax-based systems didn't have this limitation. This can be a real issue in commercial; MDU; or large residential applications.