nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shed View Post

For those who came from a Q7, what will I likely love or hate on the X5? For instance, I hear mixed things on the ventilated seats, which I really quite like on my Q7.
I had three S line Q7 (two TDI, one TFSI) including my last one which was a 2015 Sport Limited Prestige (only 750 made) that I traded-in for a 2021 45e M Sport. I consider the 45e one of the best purchases I’ve made in my adult life. while I enjoyed all Q7, I’ve never said the same of them

most noticeable improvements for me:
1) better cabin technology in the 45e, which one can say is ‘obvious’ given the 6y difference. still, wireless Apple CarPlay is my friend. there’s a good mix of physical buttons and touch-screen UI, though the same can’t be said of the 50e (less physical buttons). I want to say Android Auto isn’t supported as well as Apple CarPlay (I could be wrong)

2) better air suspension on the 45e. even though both vehicles had 21” tires (squared non-RFT on the Q7 versus staggered RFT on the 45e), the ride was so much better on the 45e. it was one of the first praises my family mentioned during their initial rides in it. (note I did change to a squared 20” RFT setup not for ride issues but for increased tread wear and availability.)

3) quieter cabin in the 45e. sure U.S. models can’t option acoustic glass, but I can set the media volume at 15-20% on the HK audio system and listen happily. surprisingly, when I turn it up for hip-hop or EDM, my teenage kids actually tell me it’s too loud! (choice of music maybe? lol)

4) I prefer BMW’s driver assistance features better than Audi’s and also prefer the steering wheel controls for cruise control on the BMW versus the stalk on the Audi

5) the heated steering wheel is one of my favorite features on my M Sport 45e. Audi deleted this option in all S Line Q7

6) this one isn’t really fair, but with the 45e being a PHEV, I only have to fill up with fuel around long road trips as my weekly work commutes are completely covered under electric power. having solar PV at home to offset charging costs is great, too, so overall I save money when “refueling”

there are a few things that I did prefer on the Q7, though:
1) its air suspension level isn’t dependent on the drive mode. in the 45e/50e, it is. for example, if I’m in Sport suspension level while in Electric Drive mode and switch to Hybrid drive mode, the suspension rises to Normal which is the level attached to that drive mode. I want it to stay in Sport level at all times, but I have to toggle it after the drive mode switch. (my body can easily feel the difference; Normal is too “floaty” for my liking.)

2) when reversing in the rain (front wipers activated), the Q7 automatically swipes the rear wiper blade whereas in the BMW, it will do this only if the rear wiper blade is already activated, the difference being a constant motion when in reverse versus intermittent

3) direct install aftermarket running boards were an option for the Q7 (I installed the ones pictured below). none exist for the M Sport X5

4) ventilated seats. cooled A/C air is pushed out from the seat vents on the Q7 versus warm radiant air from seating surfaces being sucked in on the X5. from what I’ve gathered over the years, most prefer the former (myself included) though BMW’s works adequately as designed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LDT1577.00