BTWCD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Ok so what is the point of all them LWB models? Is the regular 5/X5 not big enough in the back or?
Yes I am afraid. X7 40i base(although with more base equipment compared to US spec) retails for 142.8k USD and X5 30Li Base retails for 86k USD in China, same thing goes for 525Li 54.8k/530Li 60.3k vs 740Li 131.1k. You can't "spend just a little more to get an X7 if you want more space".

It is logical move for most Chinese buyers to opt for LWB versions because such car is usually the family hauler if not the only car in the family(although rare because if you are going for a bmw premium model you would have at least one more cars in the family, this applies more to X1 and 3 series buyers), can't hurt to have more spaces in the back for family eh?

BMW attempts to use the local-Tiexi-produced LWB X5 to gain an advantage in the hot luxury SUV market, this means possible better quality, more luxury features, much less production time and less taxes on the car. And in the end, lots of Chinese buyers would consider the space as a priority when shopping for cars(possibly price, brand, and acceleration being next) as this is more of a large purchase than what is generally observed in the States.

Fun fact: A majority of X1 top-spec LWB sales in China are due to the fact of lacking rear-rooms in the RWD-not-LWBed X3.
I can go into more details if anyone here wanted to hear the stories but let's end here first

Last edited by BTWCD; 10-25-2022 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 3
M3 boi3211.00
khailuan112.50