View Single Post
      12-25-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
threebabies
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

2021 Harmon Kardon Custom Speaker Replacement

Hey all. Just got around to ordering replacements of the speaker system in the X5. I have the Harmon Kardon sound system and frankly it wasn't giving me enough of the sound I would like. I decided to upgrade the speakers and tweeters with different components.

System Notes:
4" shallow-mount speakers and 1" tweeters for all doors, the rear pillars, and center dash (14 speakers, 7 pairs). Each 4 ohm pair will be wired in series to create a 2 ohm "set" of speakers for wattage and ohm-rating purposes.

The Receiver Audio Module or "RAM" is what sends the signal to the Harmon Kardon amplifier. A converter is required (LC2i) to transfer the cable signal to an RCA signal for aftermarket amps.

2x 4-channel amps for the speakers; one will be set to the left side of the vehicle, the other to the right.

1x amp for the 600w 10" subwoofer in the cargo area

Still planning out the system but will continue a more in-depth guide and/or maybe videos for you audio enthusiasts with the 16-speaker Harmon Kardon system. This will also include the X7 and X3 people since, I believe, they have the generally the same amplifier, RAM, and iDrive setup.

Total cost of audio upgrade:

$1100 - Amplifiers
$ 800 - Speakers
$ 270 - Subwoofer
$ 100 - Car Audio interface
$ 100 - Misc install stuff
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 03_G05 General Vehicle Electronics.pdf (3.63 MB, 322 views)
Appreciate 0