View Single Post
      02-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #63
Masterplan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 & G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Oh yes, completely. It’s not like the engine is racing or struggling to move the car at all. To be honest the only difference I notice to my 40d is that the 40i is smoother and quieter.

Don’t forget that in the US, which is a major X5 market, there is no diesel option. There are tens of thousands of 40i’s out there and no complaints that the engine is weak or unmatched to the chassis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I can only echo what he says. The lower torque is offset by the higher revs. Power is just torque x revs, if you have less of one you use more of the other to make power. And these gearboxes and mapping is so good these days, the car knows what to do to get you the power when you want it. Hence there is an MPG penalty, but its great to drive in sport+. The natural exhaust sound (the X6 has the M sport exhaust as standard) is a bonus.

In comfort mode with a stab of the throttle it will still move, but in a lazy way. Like a luxo barge. But in sport+ with the shifter to the left, its incredibly responsive and reacts immediately. Its like a different car. Of course you have varying levels of 'sport' and 'sport individual' between those 2 extremes.

BMW have engineered the car very well IMO.
Very comforting to know, thank you for your honest feedback.

If you were in my position, what would you do? Still go for the 40i?

I'm 'slightly' worried about the difference in real world running costs as I expected the 30d to be more efficient than my current RR Sport, but I'm now wondering if the 40i is going to be worse.
Appreciate 0