02-27-2020, 08:03 AM   #28
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
eagle_bmw ...that's one of the better explanations of it. It's just a subtle difference from downshifting via paddles/manual mode. I think the advantage is for people who drive in Adaptive. Yes, the vehicle adjusts based off the conditions, but using the kick down feature is a lazy man's way of blasting past traffic. I really like it on merging and passing.

I think I may have worded this post to seem like is was magic and hidden. Nope. Just another way to get the most out of the vehicle without paddle shifting or going into manual mode. Once again, the vehicle will typically be "smarter" than the driver when it comes to certain things. I should've prefaced the post for all my peeps rocking the Adaptive life-style. Now, it BMW would just let me start up in Adaptive and turn off ASS without coding...I would be in heaven.
Thanks. This is good to know. I'd be interesting to try it with different modes to compare responses.

For continuous manual mode it looks like the x5 has the same behavior as the M4 video that I posted, at least based on the driver's manual. I have to try this as well 😃
Attached Images