02-10-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnymac View Post
I just finished the exhaust tips install and learned a few things.

1. You DO NOT have follow the factory procedures and remove the entire rear bumper. I spent 3 hours trying to follow the procedures in the TIS. It was entirely too much work and 1 hour of the time was spent trying to recover a taillight spacer I dropped into the bumper.

2. The exhaust tips can be removed with the rear bumper attached. The caveat being my 40i has a tow hitch and I am not sure if the regular non-tow hitch bumper is the same as far as access from the bottom.

3. You will need a small 1/4" ratchet...the shorter the better. You will also need a short and extended 8mm socket and a 10mm socket along with a small flat screwdriver.

4. Detach the under-trays behind each rear wheel by removing the 8mm fasteners. Detach the heat shields from each side be removing the 10mm nuts (you will need to unplug the exhaust valve plug on the passenger side).

5. The exhaust tips are secured to a plastic carrier by (3) 8mm screws. They are blind and difficult to reach. Use an extended 8mm socket to reach the single screw on the outboard side of the carrier. Use a short 8mm socket to reach the (2) screws on the inner side of the carrier. I had to reach the inner screws from the center of the rear bumper. It's a VERY tight fit.

6. The exhaust tips are further held in place by (2) plastic retention clips on the carrier. You can reach the retention clips from the outside rear of the bumper with a small flat screwdriver. You will push up on the clips and pull the exhaust tips out.

7. The install is the reverse of the removal, but it's a bit tricky to get all (4) tabs aligned back into the carrier. There are two metal tabs on the top of the exhaust tip that need to slide back into the retaining slots on the plastic carrier. The tab with the screw hole is difficult to get back in and I had to push the plastic carrier back towards the wheel well to gain enough clearance to get the tab back into the slot.

It's was quite a steep learning curve. The driver side exhaust tip took me 3 hours to figure it out. I had the passenger side exhaust tip installed in 15 mins. Good luck!
Thanks for these instructions. Took four hours total but it worked!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
gtank116.00
salfeet84308.00
ssadri68.50
X54TH891.50