03-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
I am a engineer. Learning and teaching yourself to wrap your mind around a problem or concept is what keeps you smart. I love to read a automotive manual. I will read it 3-4 times just for fun. Read a few bits at night before bed and let it soak in. It’s the discovery of new items and knowing what I need to know when I need to know it. I have been around the shameless ignorance of “ I don’t know how” people that are either too lazy or dumb to at least try to find the answers and I find it a serious disability in life. There was always a certain amount of people in my circle that would just call me up and inconvenience me because they didn’t want to open a user manual and at least make some effort in solving their issues. Everyone knows some one like this.
I actually stopped helping these people feeling I was enabling their disability to learn.
I'm like you, call us sick cause car manuals are one of my favorite things to read However, we are in the minority, whether that makes sense to us or not. My uncle buys a new truck every three years, when I'm there visiting I might mention a feature my car has and he'll say..oh, I like that, does my truck have it? I ask...did you read your owners manual? My aunt laughs, my uncle says..what for, I know how to drive. Well I'd say, if you read your manual, you'd know if you had that feature. I just get a ... look. The last thing he was thrilled about was using his bluetooth phone in his 2020 truck. He was raving about how great it was. Then I told him he had that feature in his last three trucks and never knew it. The conversation when down hill

My wife doesn't read her manual, my father never did, my sister doesn't, in fact I really don't know many people who do.

I think since forums have been around, they're filled with enthusiast, some jump at the chance to offer rudimentary knowledge to those who ask, which is what I see a lot around here. Plus, its more fun interacting with forum members than trying to find it in the manual. You'll also get varying opinions in addition to the facts and alternative ways to accomplish the task whereas the manual will normally only offer the most direct or recommended method.

I can see why people will ask the forum as opposed to reading the manual but for me, I will always read the manual in addition to sometimes seeking the forums reply.
Appreciate 0