Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeet View Post
Hi Jammit,

Did you get it via OTA or at service someone upgraded?

Thanks
Jeet
There are no Over The Air (OTA) updates or downloadable updates here in the US. My understanding is that they just started rolling out OTA updates in Europe/Australia.

Many owners are pissed about BMW and their promises for OTA updates. Me included. My closest dealer is over 100 miles away. I shouldn't have to drive 100 miles just to update the software. I see that in Europe you can download the updates to a Thumb drive from the BMW website. However, that's not the case here in the US either.

What's worse, some dealers refuse to install any updates unless there are specific issues with iDrive that they feel justify an update.

I just dropped my 2020 X7 in for numerous iDrive glitches. The first thing the Service Advisor asked me was if I checked to see if there were any update notices in iDrive on the car. Say What? These people are idiots. I politely told him there are no OTA updates for iDrive in the US. I also told him that I know of many owners that have newer versions of iDrive than I have that don't have the issues I'm having. I will be making sure they update iDrive before I pick my car back up at the end of the week or next week.

I do love the vehicle but so far I'm not real pleased with how my first service is going. My vehicle has 7500K miles and I told them I wanted my tires rotated. He said BMW doesn't require that you rotate your tires. Say What? Sure! Of course they don't want you to rotate your tires so they'll wear out sooner and they can sell you some new tires.

I won't be buying any tires from BMW for sure.
With the 50/50 weight distribution and all wheel drive I suspect there is some engineering behind the official advice.
Appreciate 0