View Single Post
      02-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #26
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd307 View Post
These two codes have long been in CA. Not sure why people have no clue or argue about them. Again OP, suggest you leave the firearms at home when you are traveling to any part of CA.
I would have to agree, I use to live in Calif and at the time owned mostly hunting rifles and the rules about moving guns around are crazy. It is not worth it, if you happen to get stop and they want to make an example of you, it could end up costing you your second amendment rights everywhere else.

I can not find the story, however, a guy traveling with his gun on a plane, checked it as required happen to land in New York and had to deplane, and get his luggage, which happen to have his gun it, was seen on the x-ray and the police were waiting for him when he picked up his bags since it illegal to have a hand gun in NYC. Well they confiscated his gun and at the time he had felony gun charge against him. Never heard how it end and if he got off and got his gun back. You really have to watch the anti-gun states. Wish the Fed passed the Federal CCW to allow you to cross boarder and not worry.

I know NYC is not CA but CA is looking more like NYC these days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/n...n-arrival.html

PA had an issue where local towns were passing anti-gun laws which made it difficult to carry guns in various towns if did not know the local laws. The state government finally put an end to those local laws.

I know there was disagreement on what is considered a loaded weapon, read this from a NY Lawyer

https://www.martinkanelaw.com/crimin...at-lga-or-jfk/

Quote:
TSA mandates that ammunition not be in the firearm and you carefully complied. Unfortunately, New York has its own unique way of defining a loaded handgun. Our highest court, in its wisdom, holds that a handgun is loaded when “the ammunition is in close proximity.”” In your case, that means that if you followed the TSA instructions and unloaded the gun and put the ammunition in your luggage, you had a loaded gun! I’m not saying this makes any sense, but it is the law in New York.
I can tell you this part "close proximity" becomes a problem. I use to hunt all the time in PA, PA is an open carry state you can carry a load gun as long as it is visible with limited restrictions. Here is the tricky part, when you hunting you are not allow to have loaded weapon once you leave the hunting area like 50 feet of any road or structure let alone in your car, well defined load, and which rule do you follow, open carry laws or the hunting rules define by the state game commission. The game commission has their own interruption, and friend and I have dealt with it.

Last edited by Maestro; 02-14-2019 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0