Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
@ifr: that's not that bad of a question.

I'll speculate: they are doing OTA at all only because a) they marketed it aggressively pre-sales, and b) were on the cusp of false advertising-based lawsuits in some markets.

It is pretty clearly not actually ready for reliable mass deployment, mostly because it is bolted on top of complex legacy update facilities (both technical and logistical) and that legacy is not good enough for continuous technician-hands-off updates in customer hands. I don't hold that against BMW too much and they clearly need to get to it sooner than later, so the deployments that do happen now force and crystallize the design (ie alpha/beta testing). But I do hold against them the a) BS marketing, and the b) BS dealer software updates (lack of) motivation setup.
What he said. Even the first round of a (relatively) stable 11/2019.70 bricked a few cars according to our dealership, which had to be towed to the dealer. In my n of two - two 40is - this update actually fixed my misaligned parking cameras, but bolixed my spouse's perfectly-working cameras - with the split screen reversed, misaligned-overlay-and-dark-line down-the-screen issue. What else it did I have no idea, but as far as spouse's car, dealership is currently scratching their collective heads (or other anatomy), and trying to fix it. It's all fun and games until somebody shoots their eye out...
Appreciate 0