02-22-2020, 11:55 PM   #5
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
I am signed up for a driving school / HPDE (not my first) at Laguna Seca next weekend and wondering which of my imperfect vehicles to take: a 2014 320i or a 2019 X5 50i. Both have M Sport packages and summer tires. The 320i has a BMS Stage 1 tuner which should take it to 225 hp but is otherwise stock. The X5 is totally stock but has a lot more factory capability - 456 hp V8, M Sport brakes, M Sport differential, Integral Active Steering, Adaptive M Suspension, Active Roll Stabilization. Of course it's still an SUV that weighs a ton more than the 320i (2943 lbs vs. 5240 lbs).

The advice I've gotten so far is that Laguna Seca might be too much for an X series since it has three major braking zones and I may want to save the heavier car for events later in the year at Thunderhill or Buttonwillow. Just wondering if anyone here has personal experience putting their G05 through its paces.
Some local tracks out here won't even let you run any SUVs. I wouldn't track an x5 , but I guess it's theoretically possible.

If you have a 3 series sedan, use that one. Or swap it for a rental with insurance. Or get an m5 or m8 comp. but I wouldn't take an x3 or any x5 on the track personally.
Appreciate 0