Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc.bmw View Post
Bad language aside, 800lbs extra is a bit of a concern, particularly in the depleted battery scenario. Basically in any trip longer than 30 miles the 45e is a heavier vehicle with a less powerful engine.

After many test drives, I opted for the 45e. The drive experience is great with the electric engine's torque and quiet ride in the city. I'm getting a better ride for 80% of my driving experience. I can happily live with more weight and less HP for the other 20%, specially given that the torque from the ICE is the same as in the 40i.

A feature I wish the 45e had is "Use ICE-only above X mph" and I'd choose 50mph for ICE to kick in and disable the electric motor. I want to preserve the battery for when I get on to local roads.

That battery management option doesn't work seamlessly for this, as I don't want to have to activate it manually and I don't want ICE to actively charge the battery.
All PHEV run better, and are more economical if you drive in hybrid setting instead of pure electric. If you have a city center that requires electric only, that is when you shift to electric. If you want as much all electric driving as possible, you have to go full BEV. If you drive the most efficient way (hybrid setting) then you shouldn't run out of charge on normal trips and the weight penalty of the batteries is negligible.
I don't know if this available in the the US but in Europe the 45e switches to all electric automatically in major city centers with the edrive zones app and geofencing.

If the trip is planned in Idrive battery level is controlled and if necessary charged to be able to drive all electric.

Because of the large electric range and the length of my daily commute my default is electric individual and I stay in EI most of the time. I only switch to adaptive mode for longer trips.
Appreciate 0