02-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #16
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream54ing View Post
Main reason we got PPF, only down side is, it's pretty pricey. Better than getting these paint chip.

Honestly, can you really blame BMW for the quality of paint??? If a rock hit your car hard enough and/or at the perfect angle, your paint will chip regardless of quality of paint. Its just a matter of time any vehicle including mine with PPF will get paint chips.
Right you are, the same goes for rock chips on your windshield. What I like though is to have the clearcoat thick enough so I can polish out light blemishes, scratches, etc without going through it and into the paint. I recall when I had a '76 Triumph TR6, the paint was quite faded when I bought it so I started polishing it with a random orbital and was amazed at how quickly my pad turned green....super soft paint without clearcoat...my hand waxing pad would also turn a little green if I pressed too hard - ugh.

Paint has come a long way since then and I hope it never returns to that level again. I had a 2003 330i, dark blue, that I parked under and street light at work one sunny summer day and when I went to it after work, it appears a large flock of birds that were sitting on the street light all took of at once and pooped blueberry pies on my paint. It had baked in the sun all day while I was working. By the time I got home and washed it, the acid had already etched the clearcoat, must have been around a dozen spots. I was able to get them completely out with my polisher but it took quite a while of nervous time consuming effort and I kept checking my pad for blue. Never saw any so the clearcoat took the hit.
Appreciate 1