Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by VertigoAtHome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerNSC View Post
I am considering doing the same thing. I emailed BimmerTech to get their thoughts. I will share them once received. My guess is they will say it will all be "great", but would love to hear from others here who have done the Focal/Bimmertech combo.
While I understand why you'd want to send the full signal to the DSP so you can better adjust the cross-over points to suit your aftermarket speakers, I'm not sure it's a good idea to go completely active. Should the full signal ever hit the tweeters, even for an instant, my understanding is they would be toast. It's not that I think the DSP would fail, rather the user may make a bad setting by accident or bypass the filter (simple switch in the Audiotec DSP). Secondly I'm not sure you'll be accomplishing much with the mids/tweeters since the DSP is already capable of dividing the signal between them, and at least for the Focal K2's that I installed, there are high quality passive crossovers that are capable of doing a great job. If I was going to do this, I'd focus on the under-seat woofers, much less likely to do any damage should something go wrong. Perhaps band-pass them to better compliment the midrange speakers. Particularly if you install a sub-woofer, you can take some of the load off the under-seat woofers, play them at a bit higher frequencies, and let the sub do the heavy work in the low frequencies. Make sense?
How do you like the K2s in comparison to Focal Inside, how difficult was it to find space for the crossover box?
Appreciate 0