pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
We hired an interior designer to help us with some projects we would like to do, one of which is to add a double garage to the house, without it looking like an obvious add on.

Currently, we have a two car garage, but the doors are not wide (wouldn't be able to fit a pickup in there if I ever wanted one) nor is the length there. And one of the garage bays is full anyways with lawn tractor, snow blower, bicycles and kid toys...so we really only have one garage. So I park outside.

I doubt the PDF will go through, so you may have to click the link

I've circled the addition on the second page. On the first page, it is more or less the highlighted items except those that say existing.

Basically, we'd be turning the garage bay we currently use for lawnmowers into a mudroom and a laundry room, with a wall in between. And our existing laundry room would then be converted into a full bathroom.

With a new two car garage with an entry from the house.

Any thoughts on the plans - see any flaws? The one thing my wife really wants is the mudroom, so we are going back to the designer and get them to redraw that part by taking space from the laundry room and putting it in the mudroom instead, just shifting the wall to make the mudroom larger and laundry smaller.

I don't plan on doing any wrenching in the garage, it is really storage, anyone built a garage and have some must have's or wishes that I should take into account. I would probably just have the garage either unfinished, or put a few sheets of drywall up. I doubt I'd insulate unless absolutely need to given its attached to the house.
The mudroom is a great idea if you live in a climate like we do.

I'd plan on adding lots of cabinets for storage. You can get them pretty economically at the big box home centers. I'm a borderline neat freak and I can't stand clutter so cabinets are the preferred tonic for that. This might necessitate expanding the footprint a couple feet.

Make use of the space overhead with an unfinished loft. Great for storing off-season stuff. And hiding shit you weren't supposed to buy. You'll have a ton of room up there with that steep roof. Have your architect show you how attic trusses could maximize the space.

Think about infrared heaters, if you want the option to warm it up a bit and the budget allows. They're way better than forced air and much more efficient.

Coat the floor with one of the latest coating systems. You won't regret it.

Put in a floor drain. And a hose faucet.