pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Agree on the 220V outlets. I had two put in my garage. One during the build and one after when I had some other remodeling projects. The one 220V outlet is a 50A one which is for my MIG welder. The second is a 30A one for the 3000W electric heater I installed in the corner of ceiling of the garage. I also had a bunch of 120V outlets installed along one wall which didn't have dry wall. Wish I had done the same for the other wall.

Lighting. Where the old single bulb fixture the builder installed, I replaced it with a 4 bulb fluorescent fixture. But I wish I had another box on the same switched circuit installed above where the garage door would be in its raised position. Can't count the number of times where I have the garage door down the light turned on and wishing there was more light at the area where the garage door is.

I would consider having at least two Category 6A drops put in.

I know you said you won't want to wrench in the garage, but I had a slop sink installed after the house was built by a neighbor who is a plumber. I use that sink all the time.

Consider having enough room on the proposed addition on the sides of the garage where you have ample space to ensure the ability to put in work benches, racks, and other items. I have a 2 car garage and the layout of my garage is unique among the other model homes in my cul de sac. Many of my neighbors are envious of my garage because I have ample space at the back of the garage and at the sides. On one side I have my MIG welder on a cart stowed away along with my 30 gallon 6HP air compressor which is on it's own 120V 20A circuit. At the back of my garage I have a floor cabinet where I put parts, fluids, etc. Next to the cabinet I have the slop sink. Next to the slop sink is my work bench with wall cabinets I installed above it. And next to the work bench are my two roll away tool chests. On the other side of the garage, I have a rolling work table and have space to store my two sport bikes. With all of that, I can still get two cars into the garage with still some decent space between the cars.

You also might want to ensure the concrete floor is rated enough to support a lift if you ever decide to put one in.
The "slop sink" is a great idea. Had one in a house years ago, and loved it. Just being able to wash your hands after wrenching or mowing the lawn or cleaning something, saves a lot of mess from getting brought into the house.

I don't think you'll have to do anything special with the concrete slab. Normal concrete is usually 3500 psi strength. I didn't do anything special with the slab in my pole barn, and I've had my 6000-pound Ford Excursion up on the lift dozens of times. Nothing wrong with beefing it up a bit, though, if it makes you feel safer.