View Single Post
      09-11-2020, 09:20 AM   #64
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I think honestly the Boxster/Cayman is now better than the 911 as a sports car (although I still love the Carrera T and GT cars), only issue is that Porsche still holds it back (such as GT4 transmission) from stepping on the 911's toes since its the heart of the brand.
I was going to recommend this as the Cayman GT4 is probably the best Porsche sports car providing you fit into its very small cabin. It’s a ideal weekend car and leaps better than the 992 in “fun factor”. The new 992 is too big and GT like compared to its initial purpose.

A fundamental truth that Porsche never lets any other car other than its 911 develop to its full potential. That is a hard pill to swallow and even Jeremy Clarkson commented that it’s hard to own a particularly Porsche model knowing it will always be held back from being its greatest self unless it’s a 911. It’s Porsche’s way of openly confirming that any car they make if it’s not a 911 is a second-tier vehicle in their lineup. It is what it is if you want to play in Porsche land.

A dirty little secret you must be aware of with media reviews of Porsche vehicles in the last 10 years or so: Objectively speaking, Porsche gets a lot of “free passes” and generic praises because of their history and internal politics where other vehicle have to be genuinely good to withstand hyper criticism Porsche doesn’t get put under. Items like build quality, excessive use of plastics in the cabin, etc...

I know from first hand sources: If you are in the automotive press and get too critical of a Porsche vehicle, you won’t be invited to the next Porsche press release or event. They will conveniently run out a press cars, etc.. Image control is what Porsche does best and will protect it in many ways.

Last edited by MystroX5; 09-11-2020 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25064.00