Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
I think honestly the Boxster/Cayman is now better than the 911 as a sports car (although I still love the Carrera T and GT cars), only issue is that Porsche still holds it back (such as GT4 transmission) from stepping on the 911's toes since its the heart of the brand.
I was going to recommend this as the Cayman GT4 is probably the best Porsche sports car providing you fit into its very small cabin. It's a ideal weekend car and leaps better than the 992 in "fun factor". The new 992 is too big and GT like compared to its initial purpose.

A fundamental truth that Porsche never lets any other car other than its 911 develop to its full potential. That is a hard pill to swallow and even Jeremy Clarkson commented that it's hard to own a particularly Porsche model knowing it will always be held back from being its greatest self unless it's a 911. It's Porsche's way of openly confirming that any car they make if it's not a 911 is a second-tier vehicle in their lineup. It is what it is if you want to play in Porsche land.

A dirty little secret you must be aware of with media reviews of Porsche vehicles in the last 10 years or so: Objectively speaking, Porsche gets a lot of "free passes" and generic praises because of their history and internal politics where other vehicle have to be genuinely good to withstand hyper criticism Porsche doesn't get put under. Items like build quality, excessive use of plastics in the cabin, etc...

I know from first hand sources: If you are in the automotive press and get too critical of a Porsche vehicle, you won't be invited to the next Porsche press release or event. They will conveniently run out a press cars, etc.. Image control is what Porsche does best and will protect it in many ways.
I don't agree about the 992. As a long time Porsche owner I like what they did with the 992. I've owned multiple 996 and 997 Turbos and now own a 992 C2S. Driving dynamics are excellent with a hugely upgraded interior. Def don't think they took out the driving dynamics just improved the interior.

My plan is to get a 992 GTS when it comes out next year or if I really go for it 992 TTS. But honestly my 992 C2S feels faster than I could use and has great steering and road feel

Love your air cooled Porsche btw beauty...

Probably get flamed but I have a Cayenne GTS Coupe that just finished production to replace the RRS (which incidentally I actually loved - not sporty but comfortable)

As jstein55 said I really don't like how BMW M'a latest batch of cars handle. They have what feels like Un sorted suspension and don't feel connected to the road and the steering is not great. Had a 2019 M5 which on paper seems to do everything so well but it just wasn't fun to drive at all. Preferred my M4 comp over it greatly. Also was fortunate enough to test drive M8 comp for 24 hours and felt same. Not sporty just a massive car that's fast.

I think they did a great job with the SUV M's massive wheel gap notwithstanding