07-31-2020, 07:04 AM   #3
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Nope. Piece of cake. As soon as you put the TPMs back on the car, the car will recognize them after a few minutes. "Worst" case scenario, you may have to do a quick reset through i-drive.

Do yourself a favor, buy another set of TPMs for your car. You can get them on eBay for a little over $100, and you can have a set installed in both sets of rims. No mounting and dismounting of tires/TPMs twice per year.

Then, you can keep your extra set of wheels/tires/TPMs in your own house, pay no one, and then swap them out in your driveway with nothing more than a lugwrench and a floor jack.

There is no "mechanical" difference between X5 wheels and anything else. Even TPMs are installed on all new cars, so even that isn't "special"

My only advice.... is to make sure their equipment can handle the SIZE of tires, particular the rears on OEM 21s or 22s. Some older shops have old tire machines not equipped to handle those size wheels/tires. Ask them directly. If they give you a "wishy washy" answer.... it means "we don't know, but we'll try it so we get your money"..... and you might just get a badly scratched or gouged set of rims back.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check the condition of your wheels CLOSELY before you leave the establishment, and point it out to the manager BEFORE you leave if there is damage. Even the most modern, high-tech shops hire high school dropouts and ex-cons that could care less if they damage your vehicle. If you leave and then discover it when you get home.;... the shop will just say you curbed something after you left.
Thanks for the reply. I think the winter set I bought should have it's own TPMS. So there's no programming needs to be done when swapping tires with TPMS? For some reason, I was always under the impression that the car recognize one set of TPMS. So when swapping, it needs to be re-calibrated to work with the other set. I guess I was wrong then...
Appreciate 0