08-01-2020, 09:56 PM   #13
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post

because German cars use lug bolts (not lug nuts) with threaded holes in hub (not threaded studs in the hub), and because SUV wheels are big and heavy, a pair of wheel hangers is very useful to have; I have a pair of these that I (and at least several other members here) use: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/382855935643
So Mercedes and Audi also uses lug bolts with threaded hubs instead of studs for their wheels? Wondering why? Seems not a service-friendly design

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
The other thing to mention is that above is all pretty easy if you get a professional shop or BMW dealer to source the winter rims for you. If you source the rims yourself, there is some non-trivial complexity with rim offsets, hub sizing, and quite possibly use of spacers and/or hub ring adapters, locking and non-locking lug bolt lengths, and inside rim clearance sizing to clear the big M Sport brakes. You also need to make sure TPMS are compatible. And you obviously need to select the right tire sizes for the rims. BMW dealer or a pro shop will do the hard work of matching everything up for you, however; at an "appropriate" cost premium.
I ordered my winter rim/tire from the dealer. part of the overall deal. Part number 36112462592
735 Ferric Grey Winter Wheel/Tire
Appreciate 0