View Single Post
      06-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #8
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDave View Post
Can you provide the supplier for the tips? Also can you get them in black chrome? Maybe I should have a muffler shop do the welding if the screw claps don’t work?

Also I think it would look sharp if you had the lower bumper wrapped in gloss black or white instead of the dark grey.
Don't buy the tips I bought. They were 57mm (2.25") ID. Too small. I had to stretch them to 60mm. Incidentally, the first set I bought months ago was a 2.5" ID..... and they fell off because they wouldn't seat correctly. You MUST get the right size ID.

Clamps would work..... but I'm telling you, I had a hard time getting a stick welder in there. Trying to reach clamps with tools would be a nightmare.

Your best bet, is to do an eBay/Amazon search, for 60mm or 2.36 inch exhaust tips. (2.36" seems to be unique to BMW). Then, scroll through and find one with a 3-inch OD..... then make sure it's no more than 7" long.

Most tips with the right ID..... will be a 3.5" exit OD. That is too large. They won't fit through the exhaust shroud. Be careful...... read descriptions closely.

Here is an example of a PERFECTLY sized tip..... but it's not the color you want. They DO exist.... you just have to read the descriptions carefully, and put some effort into searching for exactly the "look" you want. Too many choices, colors, styles, manufacturers to choose from to link a specific one. The measurements are what is important.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Car-....m46890.l49292

I actually removed the white diffuser panel and installed an OEM black one..... because I didn't like the way the hitch stood out as a "black hole" in the middle of it. That was intentional. I am considering having both the diffuser and the upper bumper panel repainted in gloss black though, to match the shadow line trim.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 06-20-2020 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 2