View Single Post
      11-23-2022, 09:05 PM   #88
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-BMW View Post
I just traded my fully electric vehicle for an X5 a week ago, and the range indicator that you are looking at is affectionately known as the Guess-o-Meter. Temperature does have a big effect, and you'll see range swing. Your driving habits also matter.

For an EV, city range is better than highway driving because you get the benefit of regenerative braking. Cruising at high speed in a less-than-optimal aerodynamic vehicle does not help your range.

It is the opposite of what you see in an ICE auto as far as city vs. highway mpg.

I know this is easier said than done, but don't get too hung up on the range estimate. If you drive reasonably and it isn't cold, you'll get close to the estimated range. Drive aggressively while it is cold out, and you will look at your electric range and make a service appointment
When I preconditioned my car this am, the guess-o-meter (love the name) on the app showed 25 miles. When I actually left home, the car showed 27 miles. Drove 4 miles to the Y and it showed 31. Drive home and I was back at 27.

Honestly, I have no idea what the actual capacity is on any given day. In my normal around-the-city driving, I rarely go more than 30, and I have almost never "run out." I tell people my car is an EV 300+ days a year.
Appreciate 0