View Single Post
      11-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #81
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phred View Post
The F15 black grilles are black plastic and not painted - your point is taken - no chipping. From other posts I gather that iND are waiting for parts from BMW that they then paint to order (matte, gloss,,). So I guess they would be prone to chipping as well.

I wonder what's under the chrome on the grilles? Maybe black plastic, so all that would be needed (for matte at least) would be to strip the chrome. I think body shops would somehow manage to paint over the chrome (etch it, or maybe remove it) with a 2-pack paint that's pretty tough so maybe wouldn't chip all that easily.

Wouldn't it be nice if BMW just offered black grille (and surround) like they did on the F15...
The G05 grilles are plastic also. The “chrome” slats are attached to a black body and are actually separate pieces, but you can’t just get them offf and paint them... all of it is plastic, though. What I did was take the grille off, mask off the “chrome” surround and paint the slats with a spray paint designed for plastic. The masking was the most time consuming part of it all.
Appreciate 0