Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
I think many are over thinking the ride quality and handling of air suspension but especially the above quote regards to fast lane changes, turns, accident avoidance- which gets a :facepalm:

If air suspension is so bad why did BMW make it standard on 7 Series, X7s or new X5 hybrid?

You can also apply the same criteria for owners with xLine - they're driving around in the standard adaptive suspension. Or drivers with Off-Road package? Should they be concerned with how poor their handling is without Adaptive M Suspension?

Point is BMW has provided drivers with more suspension options in the new G05 than past X5s.
Nice spin, Adam Schiff would be proud of you.

I never said the suspension was bad, never even insinuated it was bad.

I never said it was poor either.

Air suspension is designed to soften the ride, alter the handling, etc. Adaptive M suspension is designed to be very sporty, aggressive stiff responsive suspension. It is very noticeable when you change between Comfort, Sport and Sport Plus. Driving both a 2016 and a 2020 at the M Performance facility on their track, you absolutely can tell a difference between the settings when making very aggressive directional changes, cornering, breaking, etc. I have NO DOUBT that there would be a difference in handling with the air suspension as that is what air suspension was designed to do.
No need to drag partisan politics into an informative discussion on suspension. But if you insist, thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAR View Post
Lowering the vehicle would be nice and I wish that was an option but I would not want the basic Comfort mode to be any softer than it is with the Adaptive M suspension. I would also be concerned how the air suspension would effect hard and fast land changes, turns, accident avoidance, etc. If I wanted that type of ride and handling, I would not have bought a BMW.
From your quote, you're concerned with the performance of the air suspension. Usually when someone expresses "concern" - their either anxious or worried. My reply was trying to understand and alleviate your concerns you expressed and for any future X5 owners.

In trying to understand your concerns, I reflected on extensive test drives of all 5 X5 suspension options (base, M Adaptive, Air, DHP, Off-road) including the X7 (base - which is air and DHP) in various traffic conditions and on the track. All off them handled very well for BMW. Never once had any concerns with X5 handling capabilities with any suspension option.

Thanks for clarifying your not concerns.

Actually, air suspension is designed to provide a constant vehicle position while soaking up road imperfections, balance vehicle load weight, and adjust vehicle height to traverse different terrains or loading convenience. The comfortable ride is an inherent aspect of air suspension and EDC setting.

You're giving up a little bit of handling for the above but that's why there's a suspension option for most of everyone's needs.

Other X5 2VR owners have expressed their pro's and con's and it's valuable input for future 2VR or M Adaptive owners.

Appreciate 4
AEC118.50