View Single Post
      07-30-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3 ZCP

Scratches on new 2018 F80 at dealer delivery

I just need to vent a little and get this off my chest...

So this past Friday, I went to pick up my brand new 2018 F80 ZCP at my dealer. This is the car that have have been dreaming of owning since before I had my license. I could not sleep the couple nights before picking it up, feeling like a kid on Christmas eve.

Unfortunately with timing, we had our family vacation planned for this weekend and were supposed to leave on Thursday night, and the car was scheduled to arrive at the dealer this past Friday. Boy did I want to cancel vacation, but I knew I couldn't. I called both my SA and BMW to see if there was any way to get it delivered sooner. They managed to get it to the dealership on late Wednesday afternoon. Things were looking very good. My plan was to pick it up the next day. However, to my disappointment the MSO did not arrive. My SA told me it did not get delivered it should be there Friday morning via FedEx.

Negotiations with my wife now began, and she knew how long I have waited for this dream car of mine that she agreed we would leave Friday night so I could get the car Friday morning. Awesome! Aside from wanting to get the car as soon as possible, I also feared it sitting at the dealer for longer than it needed to. You hear horror stories of what happens at these places.

Friday morning I hurried over to the dealer. As I drove through the dealer lot to park, I saw her! She was beautiful! Still with the protection wrappings on just the way I like it.

I met with my SA and chatted for what seemed like forever while I anxiously waited for FedEx to hopefully deliver the MSO so I could take delivery. Thank goodness it finally arrived! While I had to wait for them to get the paperwork ready, my SA said lets go look at the car. I was so pumped!

As we walked the lot towards where I saw it parked, my excitement continued to grow. Then I saw one of the car wash guys driving it to a spot to park it. The protective coverings were now removed. I felt a bit of unease as I'm use to watching the protective wrapping come off in front of me from my previous BMW deliveries. Plus I did not want or ask to have it washed. Anyway, my SA told him to pull the car back into the bay so I could get a good look at it.

I was in awe! The tanzanite blue looked amazing! I started on the driver's side panel taking in every beautiful detail this car had to offer. It was everything I hoped for and more! While in a dream like state I continued to walk towards the back of the car in the direction of my SA. When I got to the back, I noticed something from the distance on the top right side of the trunk. My initial thought was it looks like scratches, but that's impossible, its brand new and was just covered. Perhaps its just threads from the towels they used to dry it I thought to myself. As I got closer, I realized they were not towel threads unfortunately. They were scratches. My joy and excitement quickly dissipated and was replaced with nausea. There was one long scratch several inches long and a couple smaller ones next to it. I ran my hand and fingernail over them and could feel just how deep they were. I wanted to vomit. I called my SA over. He was in shock as well. The car wash guy claimed it was there and they sent pics to someone at the dealer to find out what to do. At this point I'm realizing they probably wanted to try to cover it up before I had a chance to see it.

To say the least, my excitement was gone and now my mind was just racing with a million thoughts. How could this be?! How did this happen?! What do I do?!

Not to drag this on, I will try to end this rant. My SA told me not to worry and he talked with his manager and they would have their body shop correct it while we did the paperwork and it be would fine. The ended up having him wet sand it. I can still see the all the scratches and now swirl marks too. Ugh! They told me when I bring it back for the 1200 mile service that will repaint the whole trunk and it will look as good as new.

Do you think this is the best method? Do you think the paint will all match or will I notice a difference? Will they have to do the side panels as well to blend it?

Part of me is debating if I should just leave it as is and not have them mess around with it anymore potentially making it worse. I think I would rather just live with it the way it is. Otherwise, I think I would rather find my own bodyshop/detailer to correct it. Feel free to give me your thoughts and opinions.

Is it possible to just get a whole new trunk lid to replace this one? Even if I could get it replaced, do I run the same risk of possibly seeing variations in paint color?

Also, can you believe they would not take a dollar off the price for this issue? They just said they will take care of it. And they denied taking my $1k coupon for the ultimate Japan trip offer.

I really want to contact BMW NA to complain about the whole thing.

I'm also debating how to handle the survey when I get it. I now that effects the dealer and their compensation. I don't want to do anything to hurt my SA as he did noting wrong. But I'm annoyed about the scratches and how it was handled. I think the general manger should have come and spoke to me directly. This was my 6th BMW from this dealer, and he did not even come out to talk to me.

That's it for now. In the meantime, I'm hoping to put all this negativity behind me and focus on what amazing car this is and how grateful I am to have it. I just keep telling myself, it's only scratches, and nothing major. Be thankful and enjoy the car!

Hopefully I will get time to post some pics of this beauty!
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 1