DCwell3er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
None of my business, and I have no idea how long you've been in.... but I used to speak at the Transition Assistance Programs when I was still active duty, and even now, I do quite a bit of military transition assistance counseling on LinkedIn to folks getting ready to retire or separate.

My advice..... is don't. If you are over the 10-year hump.... stick it out. It doesn't matter your rank - No one cares after you retire. I turned down lowly E-7, and retired as an even lowlier E-6, because I refused to spend 1 day longer than I absolutely had to to officially retire.... then tripled my income overnight and went directly into supervising an 18-person team of E-8s to O-4s. I did precisely 20yrs and 28 days (I was counting, closely. I hated wearing the uniform).... but I did it.

It's not the money.... it's the HEALTHCARE. I had no idea what civilians were paying until after I retired, and I could have retired an E-1, and the healthcare alone would have still been worth it.

Sorry for going off-topic..... but I always jump on things like this when I see them. Stick it out till you retire, and healthcare is something you'll never have to worry about.
I completely agree with you. Those health benefits are everything! I'm about to hit 22 yrs in a couple weeks, so retirement is the only way I'm going out. The wife retired two years ago...she, like you, was ready to be done right at 20. I think she finished with 20 yrs and 3 days. lol I've enjoyed my time in and I'm still enjoying it...but I know in a couple years I'll be ready to be done. I'm looking forward to that civilian life like lol