03-06-2024, 07:32 AM   #101
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
lmao...so it is ok for states to keep taxing vehicles EVERY TIME they trade hands?

That is the real TAX FRAUD

Is it tax fraud to cross over to Arizona from California to buy gas that is $1.50 a gallon cheaper if you reside in a california town that borders AZ? Or just common sense? It isn't illegal or immoral, it is taking advantage of a loop hole that legally allows it.

I'm not rich, but I'm sick and tired of paying thousands of dollars in sales tax on a car that has already been taxed 2 or 3 times by the time I bought it, only to sell it 2-3 years later for the state to tax it once again....THAT IS THE REAL SCAM

I'm currently debating doing this on a car I'm about to buy from a private party to avoid giving the state $8,000 for a car I will maybe drive 2000 miles a year....If I lived in AZ I wouldn't have to go through any of this, becuse they don't tax used cars that are sold by private party....imagine that?

They already take $10,000 a year from me in property taxes on my house alone.... not to mention the yearly registration fees for my other car registrations and highest gas taxes in the country on top of that....the roads should be paved in gold by how much money they take form regular folks every year.

Until states stop raping people on sales taxes on things like used cars, people will continue to find ways to avoid being raped.
It sounds to be like your issue is the state you live in. More than likely those issues stem from who you voted for, unless you're a conservative stuck in Cali or something.

That's an interesting point about sales tax on used cars. I can understand if the vehicle was not sold in that state before taxing it. That said, I agree, if I buy a car from a private party that's used in the same state, I shouldn't have to pay sales tax again. If bought from a dealer, I should only have to pay sales tax on the difference between what they paid and what I'm paying, as that delta should (in theory) represent work they performed on it, and dealers should be required to tell you exactly what they paid and what they spent on it as part of the sale.

That said, the right way to fix this is not via tax evasion, it's by legislature. Start talking to your local reps and if they don't listen, take their jobs.
Appreciate 0