04-10-2021, 05:47 PM   #8
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Interesting. While I certainly wouldn't put anything past a BMW bug (there are plenty of those in the car and new ones introduced every software update), my first thought is that this is not a bug, but perhaps a practical limitation. The mirrored top right image is the rear-facing camera and the non-mirrored bottom right image is the right mirror camera. If you mirror that top right (rear cam) image, it would place the P and the garage on the left side of the car, which is incorrect as it is clearly on the right side of the car in reality. I think the mirror view of the rear-facing camera is an artifact of processing that view into correct placement orientation.

Consider this thought experiment. In your forward-facing driving position, your right eye is towards forward and right of the car. The only way to view behind the car from that position is in the mirror which will, oddly enough, show you the mirror image of the behind. Now turn around and look backwards — in that position, it is now your left eye that is now positioned towards the right side of the car. That's the same thing that the rear camera sees, but your brain is able to process your body orientation change and the camera is not and, if left alone, would position car right scene on camera left ... which is incorrect from point of view of forward-facing observer, but is correct from the point of view of backwards-facing observer. Hence it is mirrored by the software so that you see the correct orientation from the point of view of a forward-facing (rather that backwards-facing) observer.
A very intelligent response, thank you!

If I had to use the rear image in real time, I would concur.

However, I had the BMW dashcam in the former F85 and the image displayed in its PC software for the rear camera was as I would have seen it if I was seated facing backwards and looking through the rear window.

Conversely, the DriveRecorder software shows a mirrored image, which for later viewing does not look useful to me; for instance, a closely following left hand drive car would be shown as a right hand drive one with inverted licence plate characters...

But in recognition of the intelligent comment let me offer 'off topic' a pertinent riddle that my mother posed me a long time ago and that took me years to somewhat come to grips with it:

"Why does a mirror invert left and right but does not invert top and bottom?"
Appreciate 1
LexxM31698.50