Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanaudi View Post
I brought my x in at 11k for its first maintenance service
They did a ton of updating as well as the required service
SA called and said BMW recommends a full alignment I said well then if they recommend it then it should be covered
They said nope
After some back and forth I got them to split the cost with me
Car rides the same as it did before
All this wheel alignment talk on your new cars is strange. Something has to happen to cause wheels to go out of alignment or there needs to be an assy or design issue. Is BMW telling their dealer network to check for something secretly? Doubtful, more like dealers just doing what they do, finding ways to open our pockets on needless junk.

The only time I have gone for an alignment is when I replaced suspension parts or saw uneven tire wear in 40yrs of BMW ownership. To have a dealer suggest it just smells of a scam. eagle_bmw said his car had less than 5K miles when the dealer suggested it, this is preposterous and so is only charging $90 to do it, a proper all wheel alignment will cost more than that if done on its own for good reason, meaning proof that it needs done. For $90 on a <5K mi car, without the owner looking, could simply be a visual check

If BMW or the dealer is suggesting it, let them pay for it. Alignments have never, that I have seen, been part of any scheduled maintenance program and never paid for by the dealer or manufacturer unless a warranty covered item gets replaced and as part of the reassembly, an alignment needs done to bring the car back to spec.
Appreciate 2