View Single Post
      01-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
I'm not so sure, I think they're changing.

A friend of mine has a 2019 KIA Stinger GT, which I read has been designed by Ex BMW engineers who KIA persuaded to bring over as employees - I presume to bring some performance and "soul" to their cars.

Anyway, the Stinger GT does 0-100kph (60mph) in 4.9 seconds, and is loaded with heaps of features. That's faster than 40i, 50D and 50i I think (not the M version).
Not bad for a car that costs around $50k (Aus dollars/AUD) or around $30k (USD).
My friend looked at 3 and 4-series BMWs, and to spec it up to the equivalent (features and performance wise) would have cost him well in excess of $100k (AUD). So far so good, his car has had no issues or bugs, but time will tell how well it holds up - in terms of quality, reliability and durability - but I guess there's a market there at that price point.

At the end of the day, its still a KIA - and they dont have anything that comes close to the X5, but watch this space - there's a reason Toyota are #1 in the world, its called tenacity...
Our G05 X5 50i M-Sport does 3.9 seconds 0-60mph. The X5 M50i does 3.7 seconds 0-60mph via my/our owners real world Draggy times. I think even the X5 40i might take it as it’s putting down 4.8 seconds 0-60mph.

Point is,....these are V8TT full size luxury/muscle SUV’ and still will eat up their top Stinger sports car. In the end you can’t out run crappy build quality. Kia will never come close to BMW let alone a full M Division car. Totally different zip codes. Kia had the automotive press push the Stinger as hard as they could trying to get any performance credibility and in the end marketing and price point building is not going to take on the big dogs.

My gut says the Genius branding will be more popular in China where Buick is a huge seller.

Honestly it’s been said over and over as to what level and experience you look for in a automobile and If you can’t tell the difference between a Kia/Mazda/etc.... to a luxury/performance German car then save your money and buy Asian. Why spend extra money on qualities and features you won’t appreciate??? This was always the common advise at PCA when justification of price and brands are discussed. Why buy steak when a hamburger will satisfy.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-29-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0