View Single Post
      06-18-2021, 05:19 AM   #87
CoolStory
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 i40

Going to post an update; after a year and spending a grand on a stage 2 tune that worked for only a few months..... STILL nothing from Mission or the shop that did the tune. So I'm out a thousand dollars for just a month worth of extra power.... And STILL no word on the TCU upgrade that they promised.

However, even though I definitely did feel the difference of power when I had it, it really isn't/wasn't that big of a difference. If I was drag racing, sure, absolutely, difference of power is necessary. Every day driving? Pulling out in traffic, getting on the freeway? The X5 40i is just as capable as any other vehicle on the road to pull out into traffic and either get ahead or zip into ANY situation without the tune. Do I miss the tune? Absolutely, because I'm a gear-head. Does it change whether or not I can pull out in traffic or get in front of some jackass that won't let me in? Nope. The X5 40i has more than enough power to spook and jump in front any of the idiots on the road trying to block you... unless they're driving some 700+ HP beast.

Conclusion: I bought the x40i because they had no M or 50i on the lot at the time. For a few months I wish I had held out for the gas guzzling M. After getting the tune, which gave me as much if not more HP than the M, I was a bit happy, yet it wasn't used... at all. When the over-the-air update wiped it, I was pissed for sure. But after a year now of driving and realizing that most vehicles on the road still cannot out-match the power of a stock 40i, I realized there was absolutely no need. I not only saved money on a fully loaded vehicle, but I have more than enough power to scoot through traffic without an issue. And let's face it.. this is an SUV... We're not going drag racing any time soon (even though we easily could), so owning an M or 50i as an SUV is just useless. If you want to race up and down the road, go spend half the money on a Corvette and be done with it.
Appreciate 0