07-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #19
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
So BMW dealer told me a cog in the window drive failed in 2 windows at the same time!
Faulty component which failed in freezing conditions. Raised a Puma case to check for a systemic issue.

No apology from dealer. No way of checking if my other 2 window drives are also faulty in freezing conditions.

I think I will just avoid winding my windows down below zero to avoid another failure.
My expectations of BMW service are entirely consistent with the way I was treated. No care, no interest in real customer service......
This is the type of thing you deal with whenever buying the first year of a new model. Not just BMW. I'm quite sure BMWAG engineers are reviewing these failures and working to determine the cause as well as a fix. As for your dealers level of customer service, I couldn't comment.

Sure it never should have occurred. One would think BMW would cycle test components during ranges of temperatures and conditions. However, nothing beats the real world to test the integrity of a design.

More than likely the window regulator supplier did something wrong from the production samples approved. Changed plastic resins for the cog, changed lubricants, etc... This is what it boils down to most times. Or it could just be a crap design they need to redesign.

In the future, if you wish to minimize your aggravation and drive relatively (more) trouble free, buy the last year production of a model, not the first.

Good luck with the replacement regulators. These might not be your last set.
Tenac4539.50