View Single Post
      12-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #7
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaeffs888 View Post
Have to say I was also worried about the ride - it was my main concern. Now that I've driven 1k miles I am not at all concerned. Yes it does ride firmer than my M50d but it certainly doesn't ride better.

What I mean by that is that it has real body control. The F15 M50d I had previously had more comfort but worse control.

So the X5MC is actually better in some situations like longer undulations, as the control of the dampers really nullifies the secondary movement of the car, but "worse" when the bump frequency is short. It actually rides a little like my GT4 although the weight of the GT4 allows it to handle the short frequency bumps a little better.

I have also just put the winter wheels and tyres on the car and this does help on the shorter frequency bumps - the "rattle" as you call it is definitely less. I have Michelin PS Alpin 5s and I think the tyre walls are quite a bit softer and this gives the help over the Pirellie P-Zero's ( I didn't win the tyre lottery but will wear the Zero's out and head to Michelin to see if this improves things a bit in the summer).

Overall though - the car is mega. It's up on its toes and really wants to turn in and its an event every time you drive it. Totally sold.
Yeah i suspect it is dependent on how your local roads are. Here in NYC we have roads that looks more like the surface of Mars so you really feel them in the X5M. When I am on vacation and visiting other states with nicer roads the ride in the car is totally fine.

I too recently switched over to winter tires (pzero winter in 21/22 oem size) and the ride is much better compared to the PS4S. Takes just enough of the sharp edge out of the initial impact to make it more pleasant.