Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Gotcha on the tune. Thought it would be worth noting since you are considering it, that I heard from Renntech that they did not really touch boost considering our turbos operate at such high pressures stock. Without the increase in turbo boost turbo lag may increase.

I can relate to the issue of heak soak,,, my point was simply that by adding a larger IC it will not increase max boost above stock pressure. And while possibly helping to mitgate the issue of heat soak during track days or during hot summer months, I would be apprehensive to assume that our engines operate in the same fashion as the N54 or N55, our turbos certainly don't. By their very nature diesel engines run much cooler, so I would not be surprised to see much cooler inlet and outlet temps by comparison with a gasoline engine and it's quite possible that the stock IC is more than adequate.

I just think a good place to start would be to determine how efficient or inefficient the stock IC is by measuring inlet/outlet temps under load throughout the RPM band and how quickly outlet temps recover after a hard pull. You might be surprised by the results.

In any event, I am all for more options, you know that! If you are heading down this path regardless, and since you are stock now I believe, try and get a baseline dyno done before the IC is installed. I would be very interested to see if the IC by itself (no tune) increases HP's.
In my situation, doing a stock (with stock FMIC), tuned (with stock FMIC), and tuned (with new FMIC) would be what my plan would be. I could also use the 3 different tunes I have to see what kind of results overall are shown. The problem with doing that, though, is that there's no learn-in time for the tunes if I swap them out that quickly, and without factors being as close to identical as possible, you end up with different results, but at least we could get a better idea, even if there's a 1-2% deviation in results.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0