04-02-2023, 01:08 PM   #8
Ssteigss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
I am in the same situation and have the same size runflats in the Pirelli Scorpions. I've done a fair amount of research mostly using TireRack and the reviews they post from customers. Leaning toward the Pirellis Scorpion AS3 or the Verde version. We have the Verdes on my wife's RX and they are performing well. Nice quiet ride and decent handling. Have only driven in light snow but we don't get a lot of snow and what we do get doesn't last long so I am leaning toward a tire with good reviews for ride, treadware and dry/wet handling.

The Michelin CrossClimate gets good reviews but appears be a bit more noisy than the Pirelli but provides better handling on a track test. We don't drive the X5 at its limits so the marginal improvement in handling is not a major factor in our decision.

I would also like to hear from folks who have switched to a nonrunflat. I have a spare tire so switching seems to be the way to go.
At 4k miles I did the exact switch on my 22’ X5 with msport adaptive suspension and 20” Pirelli Runflats to the pirelli AS plus 3.
The biggest difference is noise. I didnt find the runflats that noisy but the AS plus 3 is nearly silent on many surfaces. The ride has improved but I would not call it a night and day difference. Hard bumps still transmit to the cabin due to the stiff suspension. Smaller bumps are absorbed better and the car feels smoother overall. I am running lower rear (36psi) then the door sticker(41psi). The 41 is for full load and I never drive full load. Also its not necessary for weight. Its to induce understeer. I dont drive the car that aggressively that I feel a difference. They handle just fine. I dont care if they wear quicker as the car rides better with lower PSI in back. overall I am glad I made the change.
Appreciate 1
rexus300155.00