08-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #12
ultraturtle
newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Expecting the i3 to treat you the same as an ICE on say a 200+ mile, one-way trip is just not realistic, especially if those miles contain some strenuous sections (long grades, high average speed, the need for comfort features (like in the middle of winter - who wants to be bundled up heavily for that trip?)).
You've read countless accounts of folks on the mybmwi3 forum driving for hundreds, even thousands of miles on the REx with no issues, as well as the one or two that admittedly pushed it beyond the REx's capabilities. None have suffered. I don't get it. Are you saying that a BEV can do better? Does the BEV's brief 9 mile span of ability to accelerate at maximum power after depletion of 72 miles of EPA range up to 81 miles of EPA range negate the REx's ability to travel thousands of miles beyond that point with no restrictions other than an average speed of 75 mph or so? The BEV's option beyond 81 miles is a flatbed tow truck.

I simply do not understand your perspective. If I had to drive 200+ miles every day in the dead of winter, the Prius Plug-In, not the i3 REx, is the obvious solution. Most of us drive less than 40 miles per day in less than arctic conditions, so an i3 REx would be ideal, assuming we might need to drive 200+ miles every now and then, and are willing to put up with a gas stop on the way.

Beauty part is that the REx eliminates the need for an additional vehicle. An often overlooked reality of the REx is that it will always give you the capability to drive more electric miles than the combination of a BEV and an ICE.
Appreciate 0