02-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #67
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
Because that’s how wireless CarPlay works. Turn off WiFi on your phone and you can’t even do CarPlay. CarPlay establishes a connection with Bluetooth and then sends data over WiFi including audio. You must still have WiFi going somehow. Did you explicitly turn it off? I had it turned off the other day and was cursing CarPlay until I realized I had forgotten to turn it back on. Once I did, it immediately connected.

I don’t believe CarPlay will support anything higher than 48kHz, 24-bit audio so any files higher than that end up getting downsampled and/or dithered.
ah okay. No, my wifi is typically always on and I havent seen if carplay will work without it being connected. i have to assume its wifi since the volume controls on my phone do nothing, unlike blutooth. I'll definitely try it today though.

do you get a wifi icon in your car or does it just say 5gE?

also, i have an iphone X and putting it on the charging pad just doesnt really charge it, makes it unbarably hot and slows down carplay. So I'd prefer just to charge it with the usb-c cable in between the armrests. I've been told that the usb-a port by the cupholders and the usb-c port by the armrests are the two 'media' usb ports in the car. if i used the usb-c armrest port and disabled wifi, would it then be 'wired' carplay? does it sound any different? in my f15, i always connected my phone via usb to the car and it definitely sounded better than over bt.

i'm gonna test that out today to see what happens
Appreciate 0