Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maczrool View Post
Thanks for the link. Maybe I am alone in this but I take things very literally with unfamiliar procedures. If it's not said, I don't do it. As for the number of presses. I did it several times and the three presses never did it for me. I had to get the message about putting my foot in the brake first and then do the three presses which means I already pressed the start/stop button once prior. I will experiment a few more times to get a feel for it, but that has been what I've seen.

Again, thank you for the tremendous resource you offer the community.
It's possible that your car was turned off with doors open if you had not kept the key inside from unlock throughout. In that case yes, first press turns the car on, next 3 presses gets into Diagnostic Mode. Again, self-evident assumption on all our parts that car is turned on first.

This is the issue and the reason for the advice to start slow and struggle with the chaos early. There are a lot of tiny nuances that no-one will ever document, the struggle makes all of those second nature for the later fun stuff. Exceedingly pedantic or exceedingly literal generally doesn't work well, too many moving pieces and not just in the simple steps you've done so far, so it is worth it to be ready with that "early experience".