Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
What is this "tunneling feature" of the laser lights?
It isn't so much a feature of the Laser Lights, as it is the function of the High Beam Assistant.

In the U.S., due to what I assume were DOT regulations, the High Beam Assistant will turn the high beams on automatically when the system is enabled, and would turn them off when it detected another vehicle on the road in front of you. In most other markets, the system will move the high beam lights around the other vehicles, making a "tunnel" in the light so that you still get the extra visibility of the high beams without blinding the other drivers. In earlier generations (usually pre-LED), BMW actually made different headlight housings for the US market that were missing the parts needed to form the "tunnel". Once the newer LED headlights started coming out, it was a matter of simply coding the car and removing the options "5AP - Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance" and "8S4 - Variable Light Decoding".

Below is the BMW animated video explaining how it moves the lights around other vehicles:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Blue View Post
What is this "tunneling feature" of the laser lights?
It isn't so much a feature of the Laser Lights, as it is the function of the High Beam Assistant.

In the U.S., due to what I assume were DOT regulations, the High Beam Assistant will turn the high beams on automatically when the system is enabled, and would turn them off when it detected another vehicle on the road in front of you. In most other markets, the system will move the high beam lights around the other vehicles, making a "tunnel" in the light so that you still get the extra visibility of the high beams without blinding the other drivers. In earlier generations (usually pre-LED), BMW actually made different headlight housings for the US market that were missing the parts needed to form the "tunnel". Once the newer LED headlights started coming out, it was a matter of simply coding the car and removing the options "5AP - Decoding for no-dazzle high-beam assistance" and "8S4 - Variable Light Decoding".

Below is the BMW animated video explaining how it moves the lights around other vehicles:
Have any owners had occasion to see if anti-dazzle is working as expected?
Appreciate 0