Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by am3r1ka View Post
Is there any thread here yet about how Mercedes has it's foot on Porsche neck? The new AMG GT R Pro directly aimed possibly at the 911 GT3 maybe GT2. Then the 4 door coupe GT setting fattest Nurburgring Times aimed at the Panamera.
The problem with Porsche is pricing. The cars fall into this 'no mans land' on the financial spectrum. Most of the public views the 911 (non GT cars) as a 'luxury sports car', not an exotic. Porsche then prices the cars 50-100% higher than the other cars the bulk of the public views as competitors.

Realistically - there is not true competitor to the 911, neither in price or driving pleasure. But, for around half the cost of a fully loaded 911, someone can buy a car that delivers 80-90% of what the Porsche does. On that same note, when comparing the GT cars, for the same general price points, someone can purchase a true exotic. Neither the exotic or the GT car is going to be driven very often by the majority of buyers, so reliability doesn't really factor in.

Of course, my opinion probably doesn't hold much water, since Porsche continues to sell like wildfire and commands well over MSRP on the GT cars. I myself, however, just cannot justify $120,000 for a moderately equipped 911 when I can get an AMG or an M car for far less.

Just my 2 cents. End result? I don't think Porsche gives a flying rats ass about the AMG GT.
I think in due time someone could possibly knock Porsche off that driving pleasure throne. Where Porsche excels over other brands is that they don't revolutionize their cars, they just make the existing one better. If Merc takes upon this philosophy of "Why change something if it already works" on their GT, I think they can come really close if not give Porsche a run for their money.

Regarding pricing, I don't think too many people would care simply because it's still a Porsche at the end of the day. But when it comes to specifications and top speed, Tesla is probably going to beat them (at least 0-60 for now) in most aspects all the time at a way lower price. I doubt this new Taycan Porsche has coming would give the Model S true competition.