LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
A smart phone offered a 2nd function to the already existing cell phone. An EV doesn't offer a transport platform any significant function to the established platform.

combining a laptop with a cell phone to make a smart phone was a revolution.

combining a vehicle with technology, well that happens in all propulsion systems available, where is the revolution for the use-case of vehicles?

The very first vehicles were electrics and steam powered. Then gasoline revolutionized things. The core function remained the same : moving people from A to Z, it just added to range, fuel availability, and platform efficiency < that was the revolutionary part.

The EV platform is presently only adding platform efficiency, and at great cost to range and fuel availability.
It shifts the car platform to align with the current technological realities. Always on so the device can more adapt to the user. This is a trend that’s been under way already in cars as a bolt on to ICE. Secondary batteries and high drain battery technologies like AGM to allow cars to stay on long after they’ve been shut off. EVs make this an easier reality as the standby draw on EVs is minimal.

For instance, I live in upstate NY and although it is illegal in NY you see countless cars running early in the morning to warm up and take the bite off our cold winter mornings. An EV can handle this easily without running an ICE engine in the worst possible conditions for it (very cold and idling). A connected EV can even potentially anticipate this automatically and known to warm up right around the time I always go to my car and leave. So I can just go about my morning without thinking about the car and managing it too.

Another thing you get up here is power outages thanks to things like ice storms (we’ve been told by our power company to be prepared for such an outage as a storm currently moves through). You could add expensive generators to your house and have to either manage fuel for them or pay hefty for a natural gas one… Or you could add an EV with V2H capabilities to the home (with a V2H charger) and you now have a generator available with the car and it isn’t something you have to “maintain” separately or fuel separately. Have it always on and in the future the car could potentially be used to balance grid demand to reduce power outages in the summer when power draw spikes.

But we’ll see where this convergence between EVs and Smartphones go. Especially if Apple and other cell phone companies launch their own EVs in the next few years as is anticipated. As I’m not convinced car makers have the vision to capitalize on this as they suck at tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
And... [cough]... Cost.

Which is the point of the thread, pricing lower income people out of the private transportation market.
That happened years ago I thought.

New cars have been unaffordable for anyone except older buyers for decades now. It is why enthusiasts cars have all died for SUVs… Older buyers aren’t looking for fun sporty sedans like people in their 20s.
Appreciate 0