View Single Post
      10-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

I have no way of proving this...... but..... I did read the entire "wrinkle" thread, and while I don't think the wrinkles are "awful" looking, I absolutely do NOT think that they were "intentional". Then, when the interior 3d viewer became "mysteriously" unavailable.... that was a dead giveaway to me, that BMW is trying to hide production mistakes. To me, there is no doubt in my mind.

My theory..... is that to me, it appears that the seats were "stretched" in a way, during production, that caused them to wrinkle when returned to their original state. The only thing I can think of, is that for "whatever" reason.... adding heated rear seats requires the stretching of the seats, after they had been produced. Or, perhaps the seats were installed first, and then had to be manipulated in such a way to connect wiring? I've restored enough cars to know that seats always look a little different after they have been removed and re-installed. I believe, that they look great right after production (which is likely how they passed the initial QC), and "something" happens to them later on that's related to the rear heating elements.

Heated rear seats are a dirt cheap option (by comparison), so almost everyone gets them. My theory is that that's why we see so many wrinkled seats, but occasionally an un-wrinkled one seems to unexplainably sneak through.

It's just a theory. Quite frankly, they weren't that important to me, and my kids will just continuously keep f-ing around with them anyway. I have no doubt that they will constantly mess with the side shades, and I'll have to make them "off limits". Anyway..... to me, I thought I'd just leave them off and see what happens.

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 10-22-2019 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0