11-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ditate View Post
When ordering the factory tow package on the car, you also get bigger rear brakes, and increased transmission cooling. This will not be added when getting the OEM dealer installed parts after the car is built. You'll also have less overall towing capacity but nothing significant.
I've had the BMW OEM towbar installed by my dealer, as mine didn't come with the towbar and wasn't even orderable at the time. It's removable when not in use, and fits under the rear bumper/diffuser.

Braked towing capacity is 2700Kgs (6000lbs), factory fitted is 3500Kgs (7700lbs) - which I don't need, plus it ruins the aesthetics of the diffuser (just IMO). Yes the BMW OEM after delivery option is more expensive (around $2800 for us here in Oz), but on the positive its removed when not in use - so the car looks normal.

If you have the M-sport package, you get bigger brakes. So that one goes away for me.

The Transmission cooling is a programming change, part of the coding when you get the towbar installed by a dealer. The vehicle senses its towing a load, and changes into "towing mode", which also disables a few of the PDC and other stability safety features, but at the same time enables a towing stability program. I can assure you there is no "special" towing transmission.

I honestly wouldn't try putting a tow bar on without programming/coding (which = dealer should do it), you're asking for problems if you do. The electronics, stability control, and intelligence in these cars is highly advanced - and you want to ensure its all synchronised when towing - else nasty things can happen.

Let me share a personal experience ....I've had a tyre blow out on my trailer (fully loaded to around 1800kgs) around 3 years ago at 110km/h (~70mph) in my F15 X5, which had the same type of towbar as I have now (including full coding). The towing stability kicked in, and I was able to pull over gracefully with no jack-knifing or fishing-tailing/ side to side effect. It was extremely impressive.
Now would that have happened without programming/coding? - I actually don't know..., but with my family in the car neither would I want to gamble their safety off for a few bucks. My advice, get it done properly.

Last edited by James_G0540i; 11-05-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tenac4538.50