11-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #18
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzlescad View Post
Hello all,
Curious to hear from current m50i owners about ride quality. Just picked up my X5M50i 2 weeks ago, already have 1300 mi on it and love the handling/acceleration but am left a bit disapointed by the ride quality over uneven pavement. Even in comfort, seems a little "unsettled"/bouncy and never truly smooth unless road is glass flat. For reference, I'm on stock 20' RF Pirelli all season tires. I'm coming from a 2017 benz E 400 wagon which was fairly smooth and obviously a completely different kind of vehicle. I've toyed with the idea of selling and buying another M50i with air suspension but I've heard several negative reports about loss of handling/dynamism and floatiness.

Looking forward to the collective wisdom of this forum-
Your ride quality - is tires.

Run flats are stiff as heck. Plus all seasons are not known for softest compound.

Get regular summer and winter sets in soft compound.

I use Michelin Pilot sport 4 SUV tire in summer
adn Michelin Pilot Alpine 5 SUV in winter

all 20" 275/45/20

Ride is great with regular M sport suspension. DHP does not improve damping - it only stiffens cross bars in cornering and adds steering gizmo with rear wheels.

Your ride is tire dependent.

Also for immediate fix - lower your pressures. Door jam recommends over 40 PSi - way too high - designed for full load - 5 passengers and cargo on German autobahn cruising at 130MPH for an hour.
For US - I use 33 front - 36 rear.
Bump rear to 38 if you have 3 adult passengers in back all the time
Appreciate 0