View Single Post
      08-29-2019, 11:32 PM   #101
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Rolling computers are pervasive in today's automobiles. IMO, the X5 has suffered more than most due to BMW mandating the G05 as a 2019 model year vehicle so as to (in part) support the chassis needs of the X7. That shaved ONE YEAR off the development cycle of the G05. If BMW initially felt the G05 could be built for 2019, then their original schedule would have reflected that, but it did not. This was to have been a 2020 model year change to the F15. The final year of vehicle development, in part, is validation of the numerous systems and how they interoperate (integration testing). Finding and fixing as many as possible of those corner-case issues between vehicle systems, scaling-out back-end infrastructure for connected services, etc.

This is not a technology deficit, since auto manufacturers reportedly have similar technologies in their vehicles with fewer (some would say no) issues than our G05s. In a few months, most of these issues will be behind us as BMW truly completes their G05 validation (which no doubt will take longer than if they'd waited to introduce the G05 as a 2020 model), and we can focus our energies on more important issues.

That's my perspective, but of course your mileage may vary.
Agreed on the possible cause why the G05 seem to have more issues than other BMWs but as far as when it will be remedied and other latest generation competitors being as reliable as required I believe it when I see it. The urge to upgrade has passed and I’m totally fine with waiting a couple of years. The LCI might be the time when it will pass my required reliability threshold. Our current Cayenne does everything well, is reliable and is a superb road trip car and if that ends I’m perfectly fine with a 4Runner, it doesn’t have the power, handling or refinement but it has that go anywhere last forever charm. I owned an SUV like that before and loved it for what it was, and it never let me down once over 11 years and 120k miles.
Appreciate 2
buze132.00