Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewPage View Post
So the reason you want to upshift at a certain RPM is because the higher gear will be more difficult for the engine to move, so you want to have enough speed so its easier to move and doesn't have to overcome the higher resistance?

Let me know if I've got this straight or if I'm confused. 1st gear is the easiest gear to move and 6th gear is the most difficult (assuming we're talking about a 6 speed)?

When you're traveling along in 6th gear, the engine is putting out a certain number of horsepower. Because its a high gear, that horsepower is turning the transmission a slower speed. So when you switch to a lower gear, the engine is putting out the same amount of power but its less difficult to turn the gear so it spins faster (higher RPM), and you get more power?

That's kind of my understanding right now. Is that correct?
Don't worry about the gear part, that'll confuse you. All you should take away is the transmissions job is to

A. keep the rpm down to improve fuel economy and go faster (can't go past 40 in first gear)

B. put the engine in it's power band (the 335i's power band is 3500-5500rpm) when trying to accelerate quickly.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0